Nightjar, with the assistance and guidance of our partners & affiliates, ensures that all culinary staff are proficient in:
- Menu development and analysis–Rethinking and revamping current menus to achieve desired results.
- Costings and budgeting –Providing you with a workable template to enable proper budgeting of your dishes and advising on ways to minimise food costs.
- Compiling recipe books
- Waste management–Separating waste, recycling and starting a compost heap.
- Health and safety –Teach safe food practices, kitchen hygiene and stock rotation.
- Teaching of menus and food terminology to FOH staff –Teaching waiters the correct way to explain dishes and ingredients to guests.
- Establishing and improving on bush set ups–Boma dinners, breakfasts, bush picnics, sundowner stops etc.
- Implementation or improving on bar snacks, room snacks, game drive snacks, turndown sweets etc.
- Understanding of the many different dietary requirements
- Basic Nutrition –Teach staff the basics to a healthy nutritious diet.
- Food styling/plating and photography –Creating and setting standards in your kitchen’s plating designs / taking professional pictures for websites, blogs and brochures.
- Bread making, cake decorating, sugar flower making & icing techniques and chocolate works.
- Stocks and sauces
- Making your own basic cheeses and yoghurts
- Growing your own vegetables and herbs –Fresh produce on your doorstep.
- Learn how to sprout –Teach and provide equipment for growing your own sprouts and micro herbs (fantastic for adding life and goodness into your dishes).
- Assessment of staff canteen–provide menus and training for healthy, delicious food on a budget.